Re: file: URIs without host

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 01:44:18 +0100, Daniel R. Tobias <dan@tobias.name>
wrote:

> On 10 Oct 2007 at 20:45, Charles Lindsey wrote:
>
>> It is only the rare cases where you want to change scheme at the same
>> time
>> as using a relative URL that the problem under discussion arises.
>
> What, exactly, would that be relative to?  If your original document
> is not being accessed as a "file:" URI, then you don't have a base
> path under that scheme from which to reference relative "file:" URIs.

Indeed, but it seemed that the OP was addressing the problem of certain
file URLs that appeared to be allowed but to have no clear meaning. It
seems I am misunderstanding the original problem, but it seemed to be
related to file URLs (which presumably had been picked up from other
documents, e.g. HTML documents) and which had no obvious Path to anchor
them to. So I was trying to think of circumstances where such beasts might
be expected to arise, and where a relative URL would not work for some
reason. If no such circumstances exist, then the OP's problem does not
exist.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.