Re: policy question on URI specs (from sms: discussion)

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:38:35 -0400
To: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>
Cc: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, LMM@acm.org, uri@w3.org

Erik Wilde wrote

> btw, for the schemeProtocols finding (another one i discovered recently)

> it might be interesting to look at one of the examples in the sms draft:
>
> http://dret.net/netdret/docs/draft-wilde-sms-uri-13.html#smsservice

Thank you!  I will add that to my notes.  I should say that further work
on the schemePrototocols finding is on hold for the immediate future.  I
still think it's a very important topic, and one around which there is a
lot of confusion and disagreement.  I undertook it starting 3 years ago
when I was a new TAG member, and after 3 redraftings didn't feel I was on
a path to the sort of consensus that would support putting out a finding.
How much of that failure traces to my lack of personal depth on the issues
when I started vs. how much traces to a deeper lack of consensus in the
community isn't entirely clear, though I think both are significant
factors.  I'll note the link above as a reference should we decide to get
back to it.  Thanks!

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation