Re: Updated URI Template proposal

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:39:36 +0100
Cc: Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, URI <uri@w3.org>
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>

Am 24.11.2007 um 18:50 schrieb John Cowan:

> I agree that this makes no sense in this particular case, but I
> think it is the
> least astonishing result.  The string "%FF%FF%FF" contains nine
> characters,
> whether internally represented as Unicode or not, and you are
> asking to
> select the first two of them.  It's one thing to automatically expand
> non-ASCII characters in Unicode style, and quite another to try to
> collapse %-expansion.

If I remember the discussions around charsets in URIs correctly,
utf-8 is recommended by the w3c, but not required by the URI spec. So
there can be other encodings and there may be applications for uri
templates in that context. What I am trying to say is that conversion
of %-endoding back to characters is not well defined.

>> 3. Drop '-sub'.
>>
>>    At this point this is probably my favorite option.

It's the principle of occam's scissors: when in doubt, simply cut it
out.

//Stefan

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782