Re: Updated URI Template proposal

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:50:07 -0500
To: Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>
Cc: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, URI <uri@w3.org>

Joe Gregorio scripsit:

> 1. Keep '-sub' but only have it act on the variable
>     value w/o doing any decoding back to codepoints.
>
>     I.e.
>        {-sub|0-1|foo=%FF%FF%FF}
>     becomes:
>        "%F"
>
>     Of limited use.

I agree that this makes no sense in this particular case, but I think it is the
least astonishing result.  The string "%FF%FF%FF" contains nine characters,
whether internally represented as Unicode or not, and you are asking to
select the first two of them.  It's one thing to automatically expand
non-ASCII characters in Unicode style, and quite another to try to
collapse %-expansion.

> 3. Drop '-sub'.
>
>    At this point this is probably my favorite option.

I agree: if -sub is going to confuse more than it helps, it should
go.  If it is found to be actually needed in the Real World, it
can always be added later.  Also, it opens a can of worms: if
we want substringing, why not any other string-to-string operation?

--
After fixing the Y2K bug in an application:     John Cowan
        WELCOME TO <censored>                   cowan@ccil.org