Re: News and nntp URIs

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:41:14 -0000, Frank Ellermann
<nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de> wrote:

> Charles Lindsey wrote:
>
>> There has been (one-sided) discussion of it on the ietf-nntp list
>
> Yes, a bunch of proposals to overrule STD 66 already discussed here
> a year ago.

Nothing contrary to STD 66 that I am aware of.

> | we came to what seemed to me to be a policy question of whether
> | URI schemes are better off defining all of the options one might
> | want to use [...] or to intentionally limit the syntax to things
> | that can be trusted to be implemented by most all interpreters.
>  <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.w3c.uri/1182> (2007-09-21)

A reasonable assumption is that what people eventually implement (which
currently varies widely in the absence of adequate standards) will be what
the NNTP standard [RFC 3977] now requires (which again is much cleaner
that the jumbled selection of features in [RFC977]).

>> If it goes to IETF Last Call in its present state, I shall object
>> vigorously.
>
> Maybe that will help to get new opinions.  There weren't that many
> opinions wrt "wildmat" URIs (four, IIRC).

Indeed, which is why it needs to be discussed in a forum (the ietf-nntp
list - http://lists.eyrie.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-
nntp) where one can expect the NNTP experts to be found.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.