Re: Updated URI Template proposal

On 11/7/07, DeWitt Clinton <dewitt@unto.net> wrote:
>That it to say, clients and servers assign semantic meaning to the
qualified name
> around the fully qualified name based in the XML namespace declaration.
>
> And to be really accurate, even the default semantic context (for "searchTerms",
> "count", etc.) comes from the container's default namespace ( i.e.,
> "http://a9.com/-/spec/opensearch/1.1/"), so it really isn't "universally" meaningful
> at all.

Right, which makes me doubt the utility of the namespace prefix. What is
the difference between mapping the "yahoo:" prefix to a namespace
URI and mapping the whole variable name "yahoo_appid" to
a namespace URI? Since one of the design goals is to put control
of the structure of the final URI firmly in the hands of the URI Template
writer I don't think this would cause a problem.

> Joe, please note that, if we agree on this, then the production of
> "template-char" should include the ":" character.

If we do, and to be clear I am biased against it, how should that
be resolved against the 'join' operator?

Template:
   http://example.org?{-join|&|yahoo:appid}
Variable:
   yahoo:appid := 123456
URI
   http://example.org?yahoo:appid=123456

           or

   http://example.org?appid=123456

> Hmm, that was a long winded way of saying that qualified names, prefixes,
> and whatnot, are all out of scope.   I just can't see a way to include it
> all elegantly in a single string.  (But would certainly enjoy being shown
> otherwise.)

+1

   -joe

--