Re: URI and IRI Templating - encoding defaults

Am 17.01.2007 um 23:40 schrieb Mark Nottingham:

> Mike (and Stafan) have it right.
>
> Mike, it's basically saying that to figure out how to encoding
> things, you'll need to consider the way that the template is
> intended to be used -- so you'll need to follow its instructions.
> Considering that you'll already be doing so for other reasons
> (e.g., to figure out what to put in each variable, semantic-wise as
> well as for any variable-specific syntactic considerations), it's
> not too onerous.

I was thinking of how Mike's webforms templates would work then:

http://blog.whatwg.org/proposing-uri-templates-for-webforms-20

Obviously the browser would have to escape some of the user input
when converting the template into a valid URI. Besides the uri
escaping of non-ascii chars, there are the special ones to consider,
like:

http://example.com/{string}?test=123   // browser needs to escape '?'
in string

http://example.com/abc?test={string}&xxx=123  // browser needs to
escape '&+'

Question: is it worthwhile to define escaping rules for params that
are definitely part of a query (or precede a query). Or is this
something to be handled in a possible WebForms2.0 specification?

Cheers,

Stefan