Re: xmpp URIs and 3986

Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> I am the author of RFC 4622 and will submit errata for it.
>> My apologies for the errors.
>
> One of those "it's obvious if you know it" things, between
> got to be a <pchar>.

The intent for xmpp URIs was that on the rare occasions that <authority>
  is included, it must be followed by either nothing ("authenticate as
this user") or slash and path then optionally <query> and/or <fragment>
("authenticate as this user and generate an XMPP stanza directed to the
address specified in the path"). Unfortunately, it seems that my ABNF fu
was not strong enough to capture that properly. The use of <authority>
in xmpp URIs is quite specialized, I doubt it will be used much if at
all, and it is confusing in several ways that I don't particularly like,
but it was specifically requested when we defined the scheme. In any
case, I will determine the appropriate corrections and submit them as
errata (with submission of rfc4622bis likely to follow in concert with
rfc3920bis and rfc3921bis).

> After you've fixed 4622 I hope you try a revised Jabber-ID,
> the message header field registry is now working.

Yes, that's the plan.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre