Re: URIs & Namespaces

On Dec 11, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Mike Schinkel wrote:
> That said, can you give me a use case where you would envision these
> URLs to
> be stored, presented, shared, etc?  Currently I can't see why a "LOC:"
> scheme would be important, but maybe presenting several use-cases
> will allow
> me to see beyond my current limits on envisioning your concepts.

What about the case when you want to use the URI on GPS device that
lacks a TCP/IP connection?

Say your GPS device has a built-in address book with an entry like the
following:
  name: Sean Reilly
  home-loc: loc:55.959123,-3.191657
  home-addr: 48 London St, ...

An http: URL in a situation like that would be useless.  Many cars and
handheld devices have GPS built-in but not a full internet
connection.  If there were a standalone loc: URI scheme then the
identified resources could be accessed on all appropriate devices
including a traditional browser.

Thanks,
Sean