Re: URI's for processes, stocks, file hashes, UPC's, etc..

From: Sean Reilly <sreilly@cnri.reston.va.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:39:26 +0100
Cc: uri@w3.org
To: Stan James <sjames@uni-osnabrueck.de>

Hi Stan,

I would take a look at the info: URI scheme.  It seems like a good
fit to me - a URI scheme for identifiers that don't necessarily
resolve to anything and aren't tied back to the domain of your
company (and therefore your control).

A registry of sub-namespaces under the info: URI scheme is here:

On Sep 18, 2006, at 9:16 PM, Stan James wrote:

> Hi,
> My company (www.lijit.com) allows people to enter comments about
> URI's. Till now we've only had commenting about URL's, but we have
> tools now for handling comments on stock symbols, UPC/GTIN codes,
> and file hashes. The question then is how to encode these in URI's.
> Others have suggested building off our company URL, eg:
> http://www.lijit.com/stocks/nasdaq/GOOG
> but this won't work because we want this to be an open standard
> that other people can use without tying everything back to us.
> I'm thinking of something like:
> stocks
> security://nasdaq/stock/GOOG
> gtin://97807868684494
> file hash:
> hash://sha-1/2fd4e1c67a2d28fced849ee1bb76e7391b93eb12
> I realize these aren't registered schemes. However, will this work,
> or are there any suggestions for a better way to do this?
> -stan

Sean Reilly,	CNRI
Location this week:  Edinburgh, Scotland