Re: Feedback on draft-gregorio-uritemplate-00

Sam Ruby wrote:
> [snip]
> What this ultimately comes down to is the following: what does "string
> value" mean in the following:
>
>     Evaluating a URI Template consists of replacing each occurrence of a
>     template variable with the string value of that variable.
>
> Does it mean a sequence of octets?  Or a sequence of ISO/IEC 10646
> characters?

Character sequence.

> [snip]
> My vote: specify unicode and utf-8 throughout.  And ditch the perceived
> requirement to allow template variables to optionally span multiple
> segments, depending on the data values allowed.

+1 to both points.  Allowing variable replacements to span multiple
segments is wrong and would likely cause even more problems when we get
to IRI productions.

> It would be valuable if this specification were accompanied by one or
> more conforming implementations and a small suite of test cases.  I
> would imagine that the Python implementation would make use of urlparse,
> and various values for 'safe' in calls to urllib.quote (or equivalent).

There is at least one roughly conforming impl available at
http://www.snellspace.com/public/uri-templates.zip.  I say "roughly"
because I have not yet had to time to work up a complete set up test
cases.  That is, it works with the examples given in the spec but beyond
that, no promises :-)

- James