Re: FYI: fresh news-nntp-uri drafts

> From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
> Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 13:32:24 +0200

> Hi, two new I-Ds somewhat related to USEFOR, because they
> mention message-id and newsgroup-name among other things:
>
>         draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri-00
>         draft-lindsey-news-nntp-uri-00
>
> The former is syntactically a proper subset of the latter
> focused on common practice.  The latter allows for a more
> flexible specification of newsgroup names in news: URLs
> based on NNTP draft 25 ff.

If i understand correctly the last draft for news: sheme
urn:ietf:id:draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri-01
( http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri-01 ),
it allow news:* and news://server.example/*, but not news: neither
news://server.example/. I have seen several time the former in usenet,
but never the three first. "news:" could work like "ftp:" and "http:",
as lauching the default usenet software (where is this specified in
rfc 3986 ?). "news://server.example/" is like "ftp://ftp.w3.org/" and
"http://www.w3.org/". Do you think that news: and news://server.example/
should be allowed ?