Re: on the dix: URI scheme for DIX/SXIP

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:48:35 -0500
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: Dick Hardt <dick@sxip.com>, Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>, 'Dan Connolly' <connolly@w3.org>, 'John Merrells' <merrells@sxip.com>, 'Lisa Dusseault' <lisa@osafoundation.org>, uri@w3.org, 'Thomas Roessler' <tlr@w3.org>, dix@ietf.org

> Dick Hardt scripsit:
>
> > To elaborate, anything starting with dix:/ would be reserved for
> > identifiers in the DIX standard. eg. dix:/core#1
> > Anyone with a domain name can define their own. eg. dix://acm.org/foobar
>
> It looks like the tag: URI scheme would be appropriate: it's used for
> identifying
> rather than locating, and anyone with a domain name or email address
> can assign one.

Indeed, if it's important to have the URIs not be dereferenceable, tags
URIs (RFC 4151, which I co-wrote) are a fine choice.  On the other hand,
it's often very useful to provide information about the identified
thing, via URI dereference, so I strongly recommend using an HTTP one,
even though it can feel like like a strange approach.

   -- sandro