RE: on the dix: URI scheme for DIX/SXIP

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:43:05 -0800
To: "'Dan Connolly'" <connolly@w3.org>, "'John Merrells'" <merrells@sxip.com>, "'Lisa Dusseault'" <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Cc: uri@w3.org, "'Thomas Roessler'" <tlr@w3.org>, dix@ietf.org

I'm just having a hard time figuring out what 'dix:' URIs
are supposed to mean and how they're intended to be used.

What does 'dix:/core#1' mean? What is the namespace for
'core', and where is it registered? Can I make up one
of my own? What if two people decide to do so but
assign different meanings? Or is there just a limited
set of these things, all listed in the 'dix' document?

It really looks like you're defining an authentication
protocol and trying to pack all of the parameters of
authentication requests into a URI. But it's not really
clear you need a URI scheme at all. What if you just
got rid of the four characters 'dix:' and used the rest
of the string everywhere that expected a dix? Wouldn't
it work just as well? In which circumstances might I
find a URI which would possibly be a 'dix:' and possibly
be something else?

As a side note, the document contains a lot of trademarks
'google.com', 'amazon.com', 'yahoo.com', 'homesite'
which you might want to avoid.

Larry