Re: [dix] on the dix: URI scheme for DIX/SXIP

From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:11:25 +0000
To: "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
CC: Digital Identity Exchange <dix@ietf.org>, uri@w3.org

McDonald, Ira wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> With respect to "scarce":
>
> Although I have mixed feelings about the logic, the brand
> new RFC 4395 "Guidelines and Registration Procedures for
> New URI Schemes" argues that the bar should be very high
> for a new 'Permanent' URI scheme, because so many browsers
> and other bits of client software will have to updated for
> the URI scheme to become widely deployed and used.

I guess that DIX is an example of a proposal that drives a truck through
that argument. Clearly all that s/w has to be changed _no matter how_
you represent DIX. It seems likely to me that this is generally true,
too, but I'm not planning to make a stand against 4395 on that basis :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html           http://www.links.org/