RE: submission of "draft-wilde-sms-uri-registration-00", "draft-wilde-sms-uri-12", and "draft-wilde-sms-service-12"

Hi,

Tim Kindberg wrote:
> sms-uri         =  scheme ":" sms-recipients [ ":"  sms-body ]
> [...]

An idea worth considering, but ":" sms-body would be confused with potential ":" port-number, so I'd suggest if you really want to avoid the mailto-like ?body= then:

sms-uri         =  scheme ":" sms-recipients [ "/"  sms-body ]

Although no longer query-like it could have disadvantages.

>My main motivation for keeping things short and sweet is that, as you
>may be aware, one of the principal uses for this syntax is to put sms
>messages into 2D barcodes for reading and sending by camera phones (see
>www.activeprint.org). The effective capacity of such a 2D code (given
>current camera phone optics) is about 1-200 bytes so it's nice to be
>"lean and mean".

Most of the European languages need UCS2 to access all their characters in the MES2 subset of Unicode, that's 70*length("%hh%hh") = 420 worst case (Greek).  But for Asian languages for example, it's 70*length("%hh%hh%hh") = 630.  So if lean and mean is important, the draft should reference to IRI's which are more compact, and suggest barcodes or such like should use the IRI alternative.

http://dret.net/netdret/docs/draft-wilde-sms-uri-12.txt says:
>Implementations MAY choose to silently discard (or convert) characters in  >the sms-body that are not supported by the SMS character set they are using
>to send the SMS message.

Depending on language this can be a very bad thing, as removing a diacritical here or even dropping a letter there can change the meaning of a message.  The user would not want this done silently, so the implementations SHOULD if possible ask for confirmation.

Alternatively, or in addition, there could be a parameter ";transliteration=%c4%88:Ch,%c4%89:ch" telling the implementation how to fallback on certain characters.

Another parameter, ";lang=ISO639", would be useful for text to speech for example.  But note that ;transliteration= should take precedence over ;lang= when the implementation decides what to do with characters needing fallback.

In http://dret.net/netdret/docs/draft-wilde-sms-uri-12.txt I didn't see mention of SMS port numbers.  In JSR-120 and higher versions (how Java midlets send SMS's), there is smsurl which can be of the form sms://+358401234567:6578 (allowing port numbers would be very useful, but of course there might be security concerns).

Regards,
Aaron IRVINE
Openwave.com