Re: URI and IRI Templating (What did I get myself into?)

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:54:12 +0100
Cc: Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>, uri@w3.org
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>

Am 26.12.2006 um 23:00 schrieb Mark Nottingham:
> On 2006/12/27, at 3:26 AM, Joe Gregorio wrote:
>>   "First let's dispel the notion that you can come up with
>>   the perfect URI-Template to URI translation mechanism
>>   that will always produce a valid URI regardless of the scheme. "
>
> I don't want perfect; I'd settle for "not horribly broken."

You seem to settle in down there quite nicely - all the best.

>> On the other hand, allowing the template designer a choice in how
>> the value
>> is encoded seems like an interesting idea. I worry, as usual, that
>> the results will be way too complex to be adopted, but let's turn it
>> into a concrete proposal and see how far it goes.
>
> Your proposal puts the encoding information into the variable name.
> That's one option, but I'm reluctant to encourage putting this kind
> of thing in there, as it encourages URI Templates to become URI
> Schemas, and they'll quickly become unreadable. Encoding is by no
> means the last thing we'll want to associate with a particular
> variable.

Would it make sense to seperate the uri template specification from
any (python API) implementation? In the posts I get the feeling that
people treat them as the very same. Is that necessary?

I personally lack context-of-use of these template to make any
judgement on that.

Cheers,

Stefan