RE: URI and IRI Templating (What did I get myself into?)

From: Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:17:43 -0500
To: "'Mark Nottingham'" <mnot@mnot.net>, "'Joe Gregorio'" <joe@bitworking.org>
Cc: <uri@w3.org>

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Your proposal puts the encoding information into the variable name.
> That's one option, but I'm reluctant to encourage putting
> this kind of thing in there, as it encourages URI Templates
> to become URI Schemas, and they'll quickly become unreadable.
> Encoding is by no means the last thing we'll want to
> associate with a particular variable.

Do you mind listing off what you are thinking of in terms of other things to
associate?

> In the past, I've proposed putting the information into the
> documentation of a particular template type, rather than in
> the template itself.

You must have proposed that before I subscribed. Do you mind pointing to an
example?

> or b) has to have
> template-specific knowledge somehow (internal database?), to
> avoid overloading the templates with metadata.

Internal to what?  I'm not sure I understand.

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/

P.S. I just want to repeat again how excited I am about this spec. It fills
in what I see as one of the bigger holes in the lower level web
specifications, and will make so many things possible that were previously
not possible w/o violated "the rules."  It's existence will really help as I
move forward with http://www.welldesignedurls.org/