Re: URI and IRI Templating (What did I get myself into?)

From: Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 10:41:18 -0500
To: "Jerome Louvel" <contact@noelios.com>
Cc: uri@w3.org

On 12/26/06, Jerome Louvel <contact@noelios.com> wrote:
> 4. Escape all 'sub-delims' characters, realizing we may
>     not end up with a valid URI.
> 5. Don't escape any character, leaving this task to the
>     application converting the template to valid URIs.

If you leave it up to the application you
end up with the following situation:
Given the template:

    http://bitworking.org/{path}

and

   path = "projects/httplib2/"

then application A interprets this as:

   http://bitworking.org/projects/httplib2/

and application B interprets it as:

   http://bitworking.org/projects%2Fhttplib2%2F

Those are two completely different URIs, only one of
which will work. Following this would create a spec
that provided no utility.

   -joe

--
Joe Gregorio        http://bitworking.org