Re: URI and IRI Templating (What did I get myself into?)

From: Jerome Louvel <contact@noelios.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:51:56 +0100
To: uri@w3.org

Joe Gregorio wote:
> So we have a few possibilities:
>
> 1. Escape all 'reserved' characters except @, :, and /
>    across every component, realizing
>    we may not end up with a valid URI.
> 2. Escape all 'reserved' characters except @, and :,
>    realizing that our 'path' example
>    will then break since '/' will get escaped.
> 3. Escape all 'reserved' characters except @, :, and /,
>    but only allow template variables in path, query and
>    fragment components.

Nice summary. I generally agree with the analysis but would like to have
two additional options considered:

4. Escape all 'sub-delims' characters, realizing we may
    not end up with a valid URI.
5. Don't escape any character, leaving this task to the
    application converting the template to valid URIs.

My preference goes for #5.

--
Jerome Louvel
http://www.noelios.com