Re: URI and IRI Templating (What did I get myself into?)

From: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:29:46 -0800
To: Joe Gregorio <joe@bitworking.org>
CC: uri@w3.org

Joe Gregorio wrote:
> [snip]
> We have two choices:
>
> 1. Define a mechanism that is only guaranteed to meet the UR
>    syntax (i.e. RFC 3986), and thus potentially generate
>    URIs that are invalid in some schemes.
> 2. Restrict ourselves to URIs of a particular scheme such
>   as http: or mailto:.

+1 to #1.  I think it's perfectly fine to push the burden of validating
the URI/IRI output onto applications.

> [snip]
> 1. Escape all 'reserved' characters except @, :, and /
>    across every component, realizing
>    we may not end up with a valid URI.
> 2. Escape all 'reserved' characters except @, and :,
>    realizing that our 'path' example
>    will then break since '/' will get escaped.
> 3. Escape all 'reserved' characters except @, :, and /,
>    but only allow template variables in path, query and
>    fragment components.

+1 to #1.  Again, it's ok to require applications to validate the
template output so producing an invalid URI is acceptable.

> == IRIs ==
>
> Just as another aside, I am no longer afraid of IRIs.

Good. If at all possible we should produce just one template spec that
covers URIs and IRIs.

> == The Algorithm ==
> [snip]

The Algorithm looks good to me.