Re: RFC 2822 email addresses in tag URIs

Sandro Hawke wrote:

> tags are screamingly simple except for this issue, which is
> so complex I don't understand it at all.

Not sure what you're talking about, the 2822 oddities like
quoted strings and quoted pairs with some strange stuff like
embedded NO-WS-CTL or embedded spaces ?

In that case it's fine from my POV if you say "NO", anything
that's so complex that we only find it in the errata of 3696
is completely unusable for normal user.

OTOH if you say "NO" to percent-encoding where necessary -
like always for UTF-8 at least in the LHS - then I'd think
that this could be a mistake.  And for some characters you
need it anyway - I'm not sure, what about say "#" i the LHS ?

> And it's trivial to extend the syntax later.

Sure, you don't need to support UTF-8 immediately.  But when
it's available in some years it could be nice, e.g. the Czech
example in the Jabber URI draft:

        <xmpp:ji%C5%99i@%C4%8Dechy.example/v%20Praze>

The part ji%C5%99i@%C4%8Dechy.example could be a future IMA.

> why not handle these things in a later version, pushed by
> someone who actually wants to use these possible new
> features?

Sure, all I said was "don't limit it _unnecessarily_ now".  Bye