RE: info scheme

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:03:56 -0800
To: "'Dan Connolly'" <connolly@w3.org>, "'Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress'" <rden@loc.gov>
Cc: uri@w3.org

The new process has been approved, but the approval announcement
hasn't been sent.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=1239
0&rfc_flag=0

> I thought URI schemes had to be standards-track... but 3.2
> The IETF Tree of http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2717.txt seems to say that the
IESG can
> approve a scheme by agreeing to publish an informational RFC.

2717 is being replaced, and the requirements are even less
stringent, now.

If you want to make normative reference to a URI scheme in some
other standards track document, then the URI scheme definition should also
be standards track. But otherwise there's not a requirement, even for
there to be an RFC.

> I can't tell if the new guidelines introduces new subtleties or not.

Yes, they do.

> > If so, when (roughly) might http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes
be
> > updated to reflect this?

Since the registry itself is changing (establishment of the 'provisional'
and 'permanent' registries), I would imagine individual items might
take a little longer to process. Just my guess, though.

Larry