Re: Status of ftp:///?

At 7:51 AM +0200 5/15/05, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>McDonald, Ira wrote:
>
>>  Umm...RFC 2396 is _obsolete_.
>
>Yes, and the idea is to extract all schemes from RfC 1738 into
>new RfCs, and then move RfC 1738 to "historic".  That's ready
>for wais, prospero, and telnet.  For file, ftp, gopher, news,
>and nntp it's "work in progress".

Just to be clear, I don't think it is a "work in progress" for either
file: or nntp:. I publicly abandoned those two due to my perception
that it was impossible to get consensus on them, and I don't know who
(if anyone) is actively working on them.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium