Re: Converting filenames to file: URIs

Graham Klyne wrote:

> writing *applications* that access files and/or web resources.
> In these cases, the issue of what a (presumed interactive)
> *browser* does with the URI doesn't arise.

Okay.  From my POV reading the local sources of my Web pages
and some additional HTML files (manuals etc.) without a http
server is the only file://-URL application I'm interested in.

> I would argue that converting file:/// to ftp:/// in the
> absence of specific knowledge about the host system is
> broken.

Testing it again I found that John and the Lynx manual have
it right, it's only an issue for file://server, not file:///

I recall other observations, but I can't reproduce it, PEBKAC.

> particular common use-cases you have in which it is important
> to convert a filename into a URI that works in a dominant
> majority of browsers

No.  The shell on my OS/2 box "eats" // on the command line,
so I have some scripts to bypass this oddity, but they all
finally start either Netscape or Lynx with an URL extracted
from the context.
                     Bye, Frank