RE: Proposed change to draft-kindberg-tag-uri: tags and "newsml" URNs

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:34:11 -0800
To: "'John Cowan'" <jcowan@reutershealth.com>, uri@w3.org, timothy@hpl.hp.com, sandro@w3.org
Cc: abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com, m_director_iptc@dial.pipex.com, daniel.rivers-moore@rivcom.com

I'm very uneasy about making this mapping.

Yes, there are two separate namespaces that both use
dates and named "name minters", but urn:newsml actually
identify resources, and the nature of the resource identified
can be determined by asking the Provider identified with
the ProviderId, while with 'tag', there is no authority
to ask, and all of the semantics are inferred from
the context of use.

So I see them as different. And I don't think making
the mapping is useful, or adds anything but confusion.

Larry