Mailing ilst for review (was [Uri-review] Re: FW: Last Call: 'Domain Name System UniformResource ...)

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:47:39 -0800
To: "'Martin Duerst'" <duerst@w3.org>, "'Leslie Daigle'" <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
Cc: uri@w3.org, uri-review@ietf.org

> So my main question is what ideas and actual efforts you
> are thinking about or proposing to fix the above situation.

I think RFC 2434 has an interesting discussion of the
role (and limitations) of "mailing list review", and the
reasons why it emphasizes "designated expert" and suggests:

   The designated expert can initiate and coordinate as
   wide a review of an assignment request as may be necessary
   to evaluate it properly.

draft-hansen-2717bis-2718bis-uri-guidelines-03.txt calls for
"expert review" and suggests "uri@w3.org" for optional mailing
list review.

It's easy to change this to "uri-review@ietf.org" in the document,
but we're not relying on the mailing list review as the primary
filter (for the reasons laid out in RFC2434).

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net