Re: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-file-uri-03.txt

Israel Viente wrote:
> Another comment:
> This draft says:
> | For Windows shares, there is an additional "/" prepended to the name.
> |   Thus, the file "example.doc" on the shared directory "department"
> |   would have the URL:
> |
> |   file:////department/example.doc
>
> If you are talking about UNC paths like \\server\department\example.doc
> Translating to file://server/department/example.doc works fine on Windows as
> well as file:////server/department/example.doc.
> But I think it should be clarified since windows shares has usually
> host/share/path segments.

Well, in what context does it "work", and can we infer from that some kind of
canonical format?

The thing you have to realize is that Windows's resolver is very lenient about
accepting whatever string you give it and trying to make some sense of it.
Sometimes it will show you what it thinks you meant (as happens in the Address
Bar widget in Explorer and Internet Explorer), and sometimes it won't.

We keep going back and forth on this, but the file URI draft should probably
try to document these situations, and make a recommendation or at least point
out the caveats, if any, of each format.

Ideally, *Microsoft* should settle on a mapping of UNC paths to URI
components. Are there any MS engineers on this list who could spearhead
such an effort?

-Mike