From: Graham Klyne [mailto:GK@ninebynine.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 9:48 AM
To: Weibel,Stu; uri@w3.org
Subject: RE: Duplication of provisional URI namespace tokens in
2717/8-bis

At 13:24 20/01/05 -0500, Weibel,Stu wrote:
>It would be helpful if those who hold the view expressed here could
>indicate explain why assuring uniqueness is detrimental.

In the case of email header fields, it was recognized that duplicates
*did* occur (rarely) in the wild, and that the primary need was to be
able to document what did exist in order that designers could avoid
them.  Local experiments sometimes escape and become global de-facto
standards.  By prohibiting provisional registration of duplicates they
would be forced out of sight, with no clear way for designers of new
fields to avoid duplicates.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: