RE: Proposed Status Categories for URI Scheme registry

Just a few notes from me, but by and large, I don't have a problem with
this....

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 11:05 -0500, Weibel,Stu wrote:
 > W-Permanent
 >
 > The set of URI schemes that can be expected to be widely supported by
 > general-purpose Web applications. Strongest level of technical review
 > required. The incentive for making the substantial effort of a standards
 > track RFC is to increase the probability of deployment in a broad array
 > of global applications.  Application developers may not support all such
 > schemes in a given application, but can be confident that the ones they
 > support have been subject to the highest standard of technical review
 > and change control.  Uniqueness of token is agreed by all to be
 > essential.

While the incentive is a "nice to have", IMHO, by itself it isn't
sufficient to create an urgency of formal registration that will solve
any of our problems with the current lack of registration that's going
on. In addition to the carrot, I'd also like to see a stick such as "all
URI schemes referenced by standards track documents must be fully
registered and documented." And then that is at a minimum. I would
personally prefer that be extended to all RFCs (experimental,
information, etc) and W3C standards. If both organizations think that
registration is a Good Thing then we should stick by our guns to the
extent possible and insist that any work done within our organizations
require full registration and documentation.

Just an idea....

-MM
--
Michael Mealling                         Refactored Networks, LLC
CEO & President                          1645 Old Hwy 41