RE: more 'file' suggestions for draft-hoffman-file-uri

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:02:03 -0700
To: "'Charles Lindsey'" <chl@clerew.man.ac.uk>, uri@w3.org

> For example, on a unix system at least, the thing at the end of the <path>

> might turn out to be a pipe or a stream, and you were meant to pipe the
> query component into it in order to cause some effect, or so get some
> response back.

I don't know anything about pipes or streams.
This is what I had in mind --- I was looking at the
how JavaDoc builds frames...

<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
    targetPage = "" + window.location.search;
    if (targetPage != "" && targetPage != "undefined")
       targetPage = targetPage.substring(1);
    function loadFrames() {
        if (targetPage != "" && targetPage != "undefined")
             top.classFrame.location = top.targetPage;
    }
</SCRIPT>

so that 'targetPage' gets initialized to the query component
of the URI used to access the document, even if it is a file:
URI.

file://server/project/javadoc/index.html?Subpage.html

shows the index.html frame with 'Subpage.html' as the documentation
in a subframe.

Larry