Re: more 'file' suggestions for draft-hoffman-file-uri

Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
> This seems like overkill for a scheme that has gone under-defined for
> a decade. I see no reason to try to reinterpret the scheme now

The amount of time it has been under-defined is irrelevant. If, *today*, we're
all in agreement that it is inadequately defined, and if, today, we're all in
agreement that it's unfortunate that this has led to a morass of conflicting
ad-hoc interpretations that hinder interoperability, then what more reason do
you want to knock it into better shape? How can you even call this a
"standard" if it is so vaguely specified, that it doesn't standardize
anything? About the only thing that file URIs have in common today is that
they all start with "file:".

If you intend to leave it underdefined, then I feel there should be a
statement to that effect in the standard, and you shouldn't be asking for
further comment aside from those that are strictly nonsubstantive, such as
pointing out the typos and grammatical errors.

-Mike