Re: draft-kindberg-tag-uri

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the detailed comments. I'll look over all the suggested
clarifications to the text in general but it's the URI/IRI issue that most
concerns me. Every time I think I've understood the right way to treat this
issue, you say something that suggests otherwise. It's happened again.

In a previous exchange with you I wrote:
 > I was looking for a way for tag to be internationalisation-compatible
 > while adding as little as possible to the spec except in the way of
 > external references to internationalisation specs. I had a closer look
 > at draft-duerst-iri-09 with that in mind.
 >
 > In Section 3 intro and 3.1, you distinguish identifiers that are used
 > for resource retrieval from those that aren't.  Then in 5.1 you make
 > the distinction again, in the context of string comparison.
 >
 > Well, tags are identifiers that are *not* used for resource retrieval.
 > So it seems to me that we fall squarely into the class of identifiers
 > for which it is "not necessary to map the IRI to a URI".
 >
 > This matches my conception of how to treat tags from an
 > internationalisation perspective:  they always and only appear in their
 > IRI forms. So a Chinese tag would look like the example I sent
 > previously -- as a string of Chinese characters (with our separators in
 > between). There is no need to map that into a (2396bis) URI.
 >
 > So I propose to add a little text on Internationalisation as an
 > addendum to our syntax, referring to your IRI draft and saying that our
 > domain name component may be replaced by a IDN (refer to RFC3490);
 > that, when the left -hand side of email addresses gets an international
 > standard, that could be used instead; and that the "specific" part of
 > the tag may be any string of "ipchar" (your draft).
 >
 > I don't think I need to mention percent-encoded UTF-8 (or such) at all.
 > I know the emphasis in the syntactic detail is then rather one-sided,
 > but I'm trying to be pragmatic.

draft 06 below you have put pct-encoded syntax in!

What is it I'm missing in thinking that (URI) tags containing pct-encoded
characters are:
(a) self-defeating -- tags are supposed to be tractable for humans
(b) redundant -- it's never necessary to turn a tag containing, say,
Chinese characters into URI form; we need be sure only that it's in
canonical form and thus comparable with other tags.

Cheers,

Tim.

--

Tim Kindberg