RE: Are we done with draft-hoffman-ftp-uri-02.txt?

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:15:48 -0700
To: uri@w3.org

> > ..In some
> >usage, "quite widespread" means "completely widespread", and in other
> >usage, it would mean "slightly widespread".  I would prefer "so common
> >as to be almost universal."

How about just deleting the word 'quite', leaving it as 'widespread'.

> >"Developers of new FTP client implementations that consume FTP URIs
> >should attempt access to the file using the slash-prefixed
> >('/<cwd1>...') path first, and only use the format specified
> in RFC 1738
> >('<cwd1>...') if that operation fails."
>
> This works for me; how do others feel?

 "Implementations of FTP URIs SHOULD attempt to access the file
   using the slash-prefixed ..."

This is a recommendation, there's no point in qualifying it
to 'new implementations'. Old implementations that don't do
this SHOULD also be changed, if they're being updated.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net