Re: Status of the RFC 1738 replacements

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:51:35 +0100
To: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>, uri@w3.org

At 17:27 21/10/04 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
>I didn't touch the "file" draft. I read and re-read the threads, and it is
>completely clear that there is no consensus on what this group wants in
>the draft. Given that this is not a Working Group, we don't have someone
>who will remind us of our charter (which we don't have) and try to move us
>towards consensus. We can "I want this" and "I want that" forever.

Lacking any real consensus or concerted desire for significant change, I
withdraw my suggestions for such and fully support advancement of the file:
URI draft in broadly its current form.

Let us get something published, and maybe the rest can follow?  Maybe as a
supplementary informational document?

Taking note of Larry's response, what I'm suggesting here is a 2-stage process:
1. Get the current document published as documentation of (the varieties
of) current practice, and
2. Work on a new document that makes recommendations for best practice.

As a cheerleader for this discussion I feel I should commit to some effort
towards these goals, but at this time I'm unable to do so.  It's a
variation "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak".  But maybe things
will change.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: