Dropping 'gopher', 'wais', 'prospero'

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:55:42 -0700
To: uri@w3.org

Just to be clear that this isn't a new position on
my part, I'll point you at

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2003Sep/0019.html
and before that
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2003Mar/0043.html

Consider section 3.2 of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-newtrk-cruft-00.txt

While gopher is implemented, it is not widely implementation,
implementations are declining rather than rising
http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/,  and there is no interest
in further work, updating gopher or advancement.

Certainly there may be some interest in preserving
antique protocols for fun and amusement, but there's
no point in advancing them along standards track.

I see real value in updating 'file', 'ftp' and (to some
degree) 'telnet' to match their actual use, and I appreciate
the effort to bring them along and advance them on
standards track.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net