Re: removing constraints on 'resource' [024-identity]

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:38:58 -0700
Cc: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>, uri@w3.org
To: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>

> Are you saying that you think the scheme definition *doesn't*
> define the range of things identified by URIs using that scheme?

Neither "urn" nor "tdb" define the range of things identified by URIs
using that scheme.  Most schemes only define how names are assigned,
not what they are assigned to.

> I'm wondering why you think we have different URI schemes, if the
> resource-identifier to resource-identified mapping isn't defined by
> the scheme.

The mapping is defined by the scheme, but that doesn't imply the
range has been assigned a singular type by that scheme.  Perhaps you
meant something else by your suggested wording, but that is how
it reads.

....Roy