Re: info scheme has no authority component, why?

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:04:49 -0800
Cc: uri@w3.org
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>

>> No, it has has an arbitrarily different syntax that serves the same
>> purpose as the authority component in the generic syntax.  The urn
>> scheme has one as well -- that has proven to be a bad idea.
>
> Can you elaborate on this latter point?  My objection to info: has
> been precisely that it should be split up into a number of urn:
> schemes.

Yes, that was my objection as well.  The different authority syntax
for urn prevented its deployment for many years, but I think that
has finally been resolved.  URNs would have been deployed in 1994,
at least in terms of WWW client and proxy behavior, were it not for a
disagreement over the syntax.  New schemes should learn from that lesson
and try to be uniform whenever possible,

....Roy