Relative URI resolution and fragments: editorial comment

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:06:17 -0400
To: uri@w3.org

I recently implemented the relative URI resolution algorithm given in
pseudocode in RFC2396bis in Java. The process was very staright-forward
and worked very well. This is a huge improvement over the original 2396.
Kudos!

One thing I noticed while doing so surprised me. The fragment ID of the
base URI reference is never considered. Even if you're resolving a URI
such as "" (the empty string) against a URI such as
http://www.example.com/test#fragID the resolved URI is
http://www.example.com/test.

This isn't a problem, and I can see the sense of making URI resolution
work that way. However, it did surprise me. If there's any epxlicit
language in the spec that notes this, I didn't find it. I suggest adding
a sentence to section 5.2 that makes this epxlicit; something like "The
fragment in the base URI is ignored" or "The fragment in the base URI
always comes from the relative URI,never the base URI."

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold