Re: Status of draft-hoffman-rfc1738bis-01.txt

On 2 Feb 2004 at 13:18, Graham Klyne wrote:

 > I have a small problem with the text.  The example:
 >     file://usr/local/bin/
 > is confusing.  'usr' should be an authority component, but to users of
 > Unix/Linux systems it looks like part of the path.

That appears to be a misprint; it ought to be
file:///user/local/bin/, with an empty authority component.

Though, I've never understood why it wasn't valid to have file: URIs
with no authority component at all, if they refer to the localhost,
and just have the scheme followed by the path, like:

file:/user/local/bin/

which would be clearly distinguished from URIs with an authority
component because there is no double slash.