Re: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-news-nntp-uri-03.txt

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 01:15:24 +0100, Frank Ellermann
<nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de> wrote:

> Paul Hoffman wrote:
>
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-news-nntp-uri-03.txt

I have only just got around to reading this, and I was disappointed that
it had not taken on board the texts and discussions on this list since
draft-02.

Anyway, I have now prepared a revised text of the central portion, taking
into account points made by Al Gilman and Frank Ellerman. I am also
sending it to the WGs concerned with NNTP and USEFOR. Here it is:

2.  The News URL Scheme

    The news URL scheme is used to refer to either news groups
    or individual Netnews articles, as defined in RFC 1036.

    The news URL takes the form:

       newsURL     = "news:" ( article / group / all-groups )
       article     = [ news-server "/" ] message-id
       group       = [ news-server "/" ] newsgroup-name
       all-groups  = news-server [ "/" [ "*" ] ] / "*"
       news-server = "//" server

    (defaulting to 119 in this scheme) and possibly a <userinfo>.

    If no <news-server> is specified, the resources are to be retrieved
    from whatever server has been configured for local use.

2.1  The newsURL contains an <article>

    A <message-id> corresponds to the <msg-id> of RFC 2822 and to the
    Message-ID of section 2.1.5 of RFC 1036, but without the enclosing
    "<" and ">".

    The resource retrieved by this URL is the Netnews article with the
    given <message-id>.  In a properly working Netnews system, the same
    article will be obtained whatever server is accessed for the purpose
    (assuming the server in question carried that article in the first
    place and that it has not expired).

    <id-left> and <id-right> are defined in Section 3.6.4 of RFC 2822
    [RFC2822]. They MUST be in a canonical form in which no
    <quoted-string> or <quoted-pair> is used in a context where the same
    semantic meaning could have been rendered without such quoting;
    moreover, no whitespace or ">" may be included, whether %-encoded or
    not and/or quoted or not.

    For example, neither

    nor

    is in canonical form, because the form

    is available.

2.2  The newsURL contains a <group>

    The <newsgroup-name> is a period-delimited hierarchical name, such as
    "comp.lang.perl.modules".

    The resource retrieved by this URL is some means to gain access to
    the articles in the given <newsgroup-name> that are available on the
    given <server> (usually by invoking a suitable news reading agent
    initialized to access that group).

2.2  The newsURL contains an <all-groups>

    If the newsURL is of one of the following forms:
       <URL:news:*>
       <URL:news://news.example.com/*>
       <URL:news://news.example.com/>
       <URL:news://news.example.com>
    it refers to "all available news groups".  The resource retrieved by
    this URL is some means to gain access to all the newsgroups that are
    available on the given <server> (usually by invoking a suitable news
    reading agent).

[Issue: Do we really want all those forms? Only the first was in RFC 1738.
Some agents are known to barf on anything with '*' in it; there exist
agents which recognize the last two forms. Maybe the '*' part of the
notation should be dispensed with.]

3.  The nntp URL scheme

    The nntp URL scheme is used to refer to individual Netnews articles,
    as defined in RFC 1036.

    The nntp URL takes the form:

       nntpURL     = "nntp"  ":" news-server "/" newsgroup-name "/" range
       news-server =  "//" server
       range       = article-number ["-" [article-number]]
       article-number = 1*DIGIT

    Observe, in contradistinction to the news scheme, that the
    <news-server> is not optional here, because the mapping from
    <article-numbers> to actual articles is established independently by
    each server.

3.1  The range is a single <article-number>

    The resource retrieved by this URL is the Netnews article numbered
    by the given <article-number> in the given <newsgroup-name> on the
    given <server>.

3.2  The range encompasses more than a single <article-number>

    The resource retrieved by this URL is some means to gain access to
    the articles numbered within the given <range> of <article-
    number>s in the given <newsgroup-name> on the given <server>
    (usually by invoking a suitable news reading agent initialized to
    access that range). A <range> of the form "nnnn-" provides access to
    all articles numbered "nnnn" and above.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.