Re: What to do about file:

On Aug 19, 2004, at 8:23 PM, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

>> It sounds like you think this is hard.
>
> Correct. I think it will be hard to find consensus as to what the
> "most common" consumers are, and it will be even harder to know what
> their processing rules are.

No kidding.  It varies more or less as the number of permutations of
useragent * platform, with substantial version variation thrown in.  I
can see the thinking behind this, but an RFC that says, essentially,
"Internet Explorer on post-4.0 versions on Windows platforms does X,
while Gecko-based engines on linux platforms do Y, on Windows platforms
do Z, while the popular LWP perl library does W, java.net.URI does U...
anyhow, such an RFC would feel profoundly weird to me. -Tim