Re: same-document references again

On Thursday, July 22, 2004, at 04:34  AM, Mike Brown wrote:
>> From
>> http://www.gbiv.com/protocols/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html#same-
>> document:
>
> "Normalization of the base and target URIs prior to their comparison,
> as
> described in Section 6.2.2 and Section 6.2.3, is allowed but rarely
> performed
> in practice."
>
> So, 6.2.4 (protocol-based normalization) is not allowed?

It isn't generally applicable (it can't be applied to URI references
because an access is required first, and it won't be applied to the
base URI because of how that URI was obtained in the first place).

> And no other forms of normalization besides those described are
> allowed?

It doesn't say that.  Do you know of any other forms of normalization?
I suppose we could invent new forms, but I don't think it would have
an affect on the standard.  An application isn't going to perform
normalization unless it accomplishes something useful.

....Roy