Re: Announcement: The "info" URI Scheme

On 2 Oct 2003 at 15:15, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

 > No, it doesn't.  I recommend investing a little time figuring out the
 > numerous ways in which browsers can be configured to use proxies, not
 > just by scheme but by entire URI prefix, via both manual and automatic
 > configuration methods.

One might be able to do this with a sufficiently configurable browser
or proxy, but doing it would turn it into a non-standards-compliant
browser, as it wouldn't be following the HTTP protocol in accordance
with the applicable RFCs.  And, practically speaking, I wouldn't want
my browser to alter the meaning of some HTTP URIs; when I enter
"http://www.example.net/" in my address bar, I do it because I want
to access whatever is at the named server, and don't want this
"second guessed" into a reference to something else, even if that
might have some relevance.  If I want the "something else", I want to
have a unique URI that can be used to reference it.

--
== Dan ==