Re: Announcement: The "info" URI Scheme

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:31:51 +0300
To: "ext uri-request@w3.org" <uri-request@w3.org>, <uri@w3.org>

On 2003-10-02 23:30, "ext uri-request@w3.org" <uri-request@w3.org> wrote:

> On 2 Oct 2003 at 20:00, Daniel Brockman wrote:
>
>> You are aware, of course, that "Shakespeare" is a bunny? :-)

I challenge you to prove to me that that is true, based
solely on that stream of bits.

As to the actual denotation of the URI in question,
Why not denote an image of the bunny. Why not denote
the concept of fuzziness? How about denoting a mammal?
What trust can I place in the mnemmonic characteristics
of the URI? Perhaps the URI actually denotes a picture
of rabbit named "Fred" taken by a local plumber named
Shakespeare. Perhaps "Shakespeare" means "this is
what's for dinner" in some bizarre language, which
is what is really the linguistic basis for the URI.

In short, you can't ever know for sure what a given URI
denotes, based solely on representations returned by
an HTTP server, so ragging on someone because they
guessed wrong is about like teasing someone because
they couldn't hold their breath for an entire day.

We all fail at the impossible...

Eh?

Cheers,

Patrick