Re: Announcement: The "info" URI scheme

Hammond, Tony (ELSLON) wrote:

> (Now, wouldn't it be really neat if the architecture guys actually
> /believed/ in the architecture. But then that's clearly blasphemous

I assume (despite the above) that the people behind "info:" include one
or more who are capable of level-headed adult discourse.  I think it
would be helpful to address the observation, made by one looking from
outside, that there seem to be substantial areas of overlap between
several of the proposed and existing URI schemes.  I suspect that I will
not be the only one wondering about this. Let us consider the case, as a
thought-experiment, where the IETF confers its blessing on each and
every one of these schemes.  In this case, it would be tremendously
helpful if there were a short taxonomic guide for newcomers to aid in
selecting schemes for the URIs they might be in a position to mint.

In fact, if it were up to me I wouldn't let this whole thing go a step
further until such a thing existed.  It would be interesting if there
were significant classes of resources for which more than one competing
URI scheme claimed to be the appropriate choice.  I'd probably be OK
with that, within reason.

-Tim