Re: Announcement: The "info" URI scheme

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:55:08 -0700
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>
Cc: "Hammond, Tony (ELSLON)" <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>, uri@w3.org

So, as I understand it, 'info:' is just like 'urn:' except for:

- For 'info:xxx:', NISO hands out the 'xxx'
- There is no requirement for permanence or reference stability.

This latter is I suppose why you wouldn't want to do 'urn:info:xxx:'
which otherwise would work just fine.

Is that oversimplifying?

Eric Hellman outlined, quite clearly, the notion that the absence of a
built-in dereference mechanism is an advantage for political reasons.
While his sentences parse and I have to acknowledge that empirically,
it's possible for a human to believe this, the whole notion that an
identifier is better because non-dereferenceable just comes from a
different planet thatn the one I live on.

Like Roy says, let the market decide.

I think, though, that if the URN fans and the doi: and info: and tag:
people all got together in a room and came out with a reduced number of
URI schemes, they and the community would be winners.
--
Cheers, Tim Bray (http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)