RE: Resources and URIs

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 13:36:42 -0700
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: <uri@w3.org>

# 5. Any RDF statements using http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml as the
subject
#    describe the XHTML vocabulary.

# 6. Any RDF statements using http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml.html as the
subject
#    describe the web page.

I don't think it's a good idea to have the 'meaning' of RDF
statements depend on the spelling of the last part of the URL used.
So I think this is a really bad design.

I think there's some tendency to pay attention to the 'file extension'
in a URL as some kind of meta-data, and that this isn't portable
or platform independent. We might want to work on some policy about
this, since there seem to be a number of clients that do auto-detect
of file format based on the URL 'extension' for more than just 'ftp:'
(where it's necessary).

Larry