Re: exploring ambiguity via the "something-which-has" URI scheme

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 07:11:50 -0400
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
cc: GK@ninebynine.org, uri@w3.org, phayes@ai.uwf.edu

> Even if, according to the MT, the denotation/interpretation of a
> given URI may differ, what counts for the SW is that those
> denotations/interpretations be compatible.
>
> Incompatible denotations/interpretations are what harm the SW.

It seems to me that making use of a URI in RDF amount to an owl:import
of the URI's associated web content pretty well solves this problem.
It would make any incompatible use of a URI looks about the same as
self-contradicting RDF graph.  I argued for this a while ago [1] and
mentioned it again yesterday in e-mail which oddly is absent from the
archives (with "KIF" in the subject).

    -- sandro

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2002OctDec/0043