RE: IRIs, URIs, TAG issues 15 and 27

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:50:46 -0700
To: "'Misha Wolf'" <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>
Cc: <uri@w3.org>, "'WWW-Tag'" <www-tag@w3.org>

I think it's a mistake to use the term 'canonicalization' for
'resolution of entities and numeric character references'.
Surely in any environment that provides additional layers
of encoding, macro processing, quoting, etc., those layers
need to be undone. But you could also say that about URIs
or IRIs that appear in string constants inside programs.